The Young Furniture Makers exhibition makes its return this October and will be three times the size of last year’s event.
Now in its 11th year, the event will take place across two venues – the Dutch Church and Furniture Makers Hall – both in Austin Friars, London.
Organised by The Furniture Makers’ Company, the industry’s charity, it will see 120 of the UK’s finest young furniture designers and makers showcase their work. These include pieces from GCSE and A Level through to BA and MA graduates from around the UK.
The exhibition will take place on October 10 with doors opening at 3pm. The Furniture Makers’ Company chairman Dr Tony Smart will officially welcome guests before a prize giving at 7pm. Awards include:
- Young Furniture Makers Bespoke Award, sponsored by Festool;
- Young Furniture Makers Design Award, sponsored by Crofts & Assinder;
- Young Furniture Makers Innovation Award, sponsored by Knightsbridge;
- KI School Prize;
- The Furniture Makers’ Company and DFS poster design competition;
- Prizes and awards from industry partnerships with colleges and universities;
- The Blum Best in Show Prize – an all-expenses paid trip to the Blum factory in Austria for the most outstanding pieces of work from higher and further education.
Alex Crofts, chairman of the Young Furniture Makers, said: “The Young Furniture Makers exhibition is a fantastic opportunity for our guests and members to meet talented young British designers and furniture makers – the future of our industry. We are very grateful for the support of our main sponsor for this event, our corporate member Axminster Tools & Machinery.”
- Main image: Ella Lemaire, an exhibitor at the 2016 show