April 16, 2020
kbbreview’s special design competition for anyone stuck at home is now open for entries.
The kbbreview Retail & Design Awards 2020: Lockdown Special is a one-off conceptual design contest that is a spin-off of kbbreview’s annual awards event.
Everyone will work from the same brief and they can either choose the kitchen, the bathroom or both from that brief.
The full brief can be downloaded at kbbreview.com/awards and the closing date is 5pm on Thursday April 30.
“We launched the Lockdown Special design competition as a bit if fun to keep everyone’s creative juices flowing during the hiatus, but it’s taken on a fantastic life of its own,’ said kbbreview managing editor Andrew Davies.
“We’ve had over 200 designers register before the brief was even available! I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with.”
There are two categories – ‘Concept Design of the Year’ and ‘Under-16s Concept Design of the Year’.
“As we all know, the kids are stuck at home too so this is a great fun project for them to stretch their imaginations and, maybe, win some amazing prizes.”
The brief is a challenging project involving a couple with their three kids living in a converted lighthouse. Mum and Dad want a new kitchen/living area and master en suite, and the kids need their own bathroom and kitchen/living area for their amazing treehouse.
“The brief is great, it presents loads of creative possibilities and we want to see imaginations run wild. I’ve put it together with the brilliant Stephen Dick from Residence Interior Design and I think between us we’ve come up with something that will produce some great original designs,” Davies said.
Organiser Davies also put out a call to suppliers and brands to put prizes in a pool for the winners and the response so far has been overwhelming.
“In this difficult time, for so many to be so generous for something that is just a bit of fun is incredible, thank you so much to everyone,” he said. “We can keep adding prizes if anyone else wants to get in touch!”
The full list of prizes so far is below.
The kbbreview Retail & Design Awards 2020: Lockdown Special is free to enter and open to anyone who fancies having a go. Any design method can be used and there are no budget restrictions.
Go to kbbreview.com/awards to find out more and download the brief.
The Prize Pool for the kbbreview Retail & Design Awards 2020: Lockdown Special
We have an incredible – and growing – prize pool donated by some amazingly generous suppliers and brands. Here’s the current list…
Concept Design of the Year
- JT – Tray of choice for winner’s next bathroom project
- MHK – Carat Online Kitchen Planner til end of 2020
- Bathroom Origins – Rituals Gift Set
- Quooker – Flex and trip to Quooker HQ in Netherlands for winner and two family members
- JJO – Kindle Paperwhite
- Taylist Media – Year’s subscription to KBB
- Used Kitchen Exchange – Apple AirPods
- Compusoft – Two month subscription to Gousto
- Bathroom Engineering – TECE WC frame and TECE Solid flush plate
- Novy – Private cookery lesson with Ping Coombes at her Masak Club in Bath
- Sheraton Interiors – Fortnum & Mason hamper
- 2020 – full-year free access to a 2020 Fusion license
- Frontline – Plaza Thermostatic Shower Column
- VZug – VZUG Integrated Dishwasher Adora 60SLVi
- Wetrooms Online – A Wetroom tray kit including tray former, drain and tanking kit, plus a Merlyn MBox. Shower screen or cubicle of choice
- Be Modern – any wall hung vanity unit from their Atlanta Bathroom Modular Range
Under-16s Concept Design of the Year
- Rotpunkt – Nintendo Switch
- Compusoft – Lego London Architecture set
- Symphony – Alexa Echo Show
- Franke – £250 Lego gift card
You can find out all about the competition by going to kbbreview.com/awards.
Have something to say? Email the editor