The Institute of Kitchen, Bedroom and Bathroom Installers (iKBBI) has officially changed its name to The British Institute of Kitchen, Bedroom and Bathroom Installation (BiKBBI).
The organisation said the change is “hugely significant”, as it will “better reflect the institute’s ascendency and acceptance within Great Britain”.
In other news, chief executive Damian Walters (pictured) recently chaired the first Education Taskforce meeting, where the hot topic among industry representatives was skills shortages.
According to a study by IronmongeryDirect, one in six (16%) people spent more than three weeks looking for a suitable tradesperson to undertake home renovations work. While two-thirds (36%) said they noticed a significant shortage of skilled professionals when trying to find a person for the job.
“The BiKBBI are leading a education taskforce to address the KBB installation skills gap. It was recognised, among those national retailers in attendance (B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, John Lewis, Wickes and Wren), that there is a shortage of skilled installers who are available to work with the retail sector in general and that a lack of educational pathways for those wishing to enter the industry is largely to blame,” said Walters.
He went on to say that the Taskforce will be addressing this challenge over five key areas:
- Research – understanding the challenges and outlook from the current workforce and aspirations of those considering a move into our industry
- Awareness – ensuring the young and other sectors are aware of the opportunities that clearly exist in the industry
- Apprenticeships – creating an educational pathway for industry newcomers
- Re-training – for other industries – including the BiKBBI’s work with Military Veterans Charities
- CPD – (Continual Professional Development) for time served professionals
“The Taskforce accept that there are few quick wins to be had and that the challenge will require a collaborative approach,” added Walters.
The Taskforce plans to meet before Christmas to confirm a plan of action and provide updates on progress to date.